Thursday, February 11, 2010

Are You Sending Positive Messages?

Do your kids like you? Do you care if they like you? I know that I care. I also know the whole rig-a-ma-roll that you are to be a parent and not a friend. I think that I walk this line very well. My kids know when I am not messing around. However, I do suffer as a victim on occasion from "snotty teenage girl syndrome." Where I just have to bite my tongue, and remind my hubby to bite his too.

I try very hard to recognize my kids when they do something wonderful. My daughter enhances my life, my self esteem, my general feeling of happiness on a daily basis. I really like her and I know she really likes me. I know that I embarrass the heck out of her sometimes. She has become more and more accepting that I am who I am and I am not a representative of her when I am out and about. I think she had to learn that for survival purposes. As I am a prominent figure at her school I coach cheer and I volunteer for every opportunity given me at their school.

I wrote her a card that I hand made and it told her about how she has lifted me, inspired me and means to world to me.

It's a small act, but it's a reminder to her that she is loved and important. It also reminds her that she has the ability to enhance other people's lives. She is not just going through life and it's all about her. She has an effect on the world and the people around her. She matters.

Girls these days think their problems, concerns, worries are exclusive to them. They need to be reminded that they are not alone. That they are worthy and wonderful - just because they exist.

My favorite man who ever existed was Mr. Rogers. He used to tell ME on a daily basis through the television screen that he liked me, just for me, just as I was. And I believed him

I take the opportunity ANY time I can to remind all the girls that I know that they are wonderful, unique and CAPABLE. They need to hear it. I don't use the word "special" too often. As it is an overused word that has lost its meaning.

When you are around any teenage girls, you should be reminding them of their qualities, their traits that stand out. It doesn't have to be something major. Just a simple "wow, you're sure great at that."

Think of how great you feel when someone pays you even the simplest of compliments. Now imagine you are bombarded by boys who don't pay attention to you, friends who turn on you when the wind blows (TEENAGERS!!!), pressure to get good grades, busy parents and a general lack of self belief. Just one comment from someone they respect can go a long way to lifting them up and helping them to believe in themselves.

If not you, then who?

No comments:

Post a Comment