Sunday, August 23, 2009

Community Service - Exactly who do you want your kids to be.

I joined my local merchant's association in order to build my business more locally. The group puts on all kinds of community enhancing events. Last night was a big one -- a Starfest for Astronomy lovers. The group was in need of volunteers in order to help direct people. As it was dark and help was needed to guide people where they needed to be.

I signed up my entire family to volunteer. My oldest even called to plan a visit to us and I told her, we would love to have you- here is what we are doing. She came and she worked, too.

The Astronomy lovers recently paid for and built and observatory at my kid's school. So, while my daughter and I hooked up for a check in - she was moaning a bit (it had been a couple of hours) and I told her - well this is the least you can do - these people built you an observatory. She said "yeah." and we carried on.

I want my kids to recognize that they are responsible for improving their community. So many people figure that someone else will do it. Of course there will always be that small group of dedicated people who do most of the legwork.

It is not OK to enjoy the fruits of other's labors on a constant basis. Your labor is needed to build a better, stronger community. Not to mention a better stronger you.

I thanked my kids very much at the end of the evening. Each of them was gracious and let me know they were glad to help for something that was important to me.

I was very proud to introduce them to other volunteers and those in charge. My kids help make a difference and I am proud of that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment